Manager, Strategic Initiatives
January 7, 2022
AIA’s communications team is a key driver of the organization’s advocacy and outreach strategy, sharing the story of how the aerospace and defense industry contributes to America’s safety, security, and economic success. The Manager, Strategic Initiatives, is responsible for helping execute high-impact strategic initiatives and partnerships that advance the Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) and promote the aerospace industry as leaders in innovation, industry-government engagement, and broader societal impact.
This position reports to the Vice President of Communications through the Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships, and be responsible for providing project management support, creating compelling content, and driving new approaches to raise the profile of the organization among diverse domestic and international audiences. These audiences may include thought leaders, future workforce, policymakers, media, and current and potential member companies.
The individual will work closely with the American Rocketry Challenge, the world’s largest rocket contest and the aerospace and defense industry’s signature STEM program, on internal and external communications, as well as event planning.
S/he will collaborate with cross-functional teams (e.g., Policy, Membership, Corporate Events, Legislative Affairs) to develop and execute initiatives that drive interest and excitement in AIA events/contests, research products, and other AIA activities.
The individual will provide inputs to communications plans for the initiative and partnership work and, as appropriate, will contribute inputs to the development of key AIA publications and social channels.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategic Initiatives:
- Provide project-focused support on strategic initiatives and partnerships that help advance organizational strategic goals and objectives
- Collaborate with the policy, legislative, and membership teams to move ideas from exploration, to development, to execution
- Work with the communications team to develop marketing and communication materials that highlight partners and strategic initiatives, including impact stories, graphics, social media posts, and blog entries, among others
- Develop programming and content for non-traditional events like SXSW, CES, and Fast Company Innovation Festival.
- Liaise with AIA staff and external vendors to produce in-person programs and activities
- Conduct research and analysis on current and prospective projects and strategic
- Represent AIA externally to partners and member companies
- American Rocketry Challenge
- Assist in the development and execution of outreach initiatives for the American Rocketry Challenge, including internal and external communications strategies (e.g. team communications, social media, newsletters, partner engagement)
- Assist with event planning related to the contest, including the National Finals and Rockets on the Hill
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in marketing, communications, public affairs, or social impact
- Energetic, creative, and resourceful thinker
- Excellent communication skills conveying key messages to large groups in writing and in-person
- Experience with content creation—written and visual. Basic graphic design skills are a plus
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills including relationship and trust building, communication and listening, and personal engagement
- Experience in and passion STEM education and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs.
- Ability to deconflict competing priorities and stakeholders
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Strong computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office and project planning programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate field or equivalent work experience
To Apply, please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
AIA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status. Consistent with our AIA’s commitment to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better organization and better