June 27, 2019
Aerospace Industries Association (AIA)
Date: 27 June 2019
About AIA: https://www.aia-aerospace.org/about-aia/
The AIA Communications team is the brainpower behind AIA’s core function of telling the Aerospace and Defense Industry story and the work we do every day to keep the country safe, drive the American economy, create jobs, and inspire people to dream. We are looking for a media expert to drive our storytelling efforts and lead AIA’s engagement with the media. You’ll be a key spokesperson for the Association, address reporter queries, develop media engagement strategies, provide key counsel on messaging, and work across the organization to help develop and pitch a wide range of communications materials, including blog posts, Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, White Papers, reports, and other high-visibility communications.
AIA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status. Consistent with our AIA’s commitment to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better organization and better results. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position reports to the Vice President of Communications and works directly with staff at all levels across the Association, as well as Member Companies.
- Provides counsel on media engagement, drawing from a clear understanding of the latest media trends and outlets.
- Generates original ideas for media strategy and outreach and develops strategic media plans.
- Communicates with a wide range of national and trade media on behalf of the association, maintaining key media contacts and growing relationships with newsrooms and journalists.
- Drafts key messages, press releases, Op-Eds, blog posts, pitches, Tweets, and other written products.
- Writes persuasively and creatively, distills complex technical and policy statements into easy-to-understand statements.
- On occasion, as needed, provides support for other functions in the office including but not limited to special events and meetings.
- Attends local presentations and may be required to travel nationally and internationally to support public events.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years experience with media relations or journalism.
- Proven ability to consistently make sound judgments.
- Exceptional communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of the changing media landscape, the pressures that newsrooms and journalists face, and how social media impacts and intersects today’s journalism.
- Ability to execute work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively communicate the vision, programs and value of AIA to various audiences.
- Proficient in applicable technology programs and applications.
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly collaborative environment while developing and maintaining positive work relationships.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent work experience required.
To Apply, please send the following documents to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) References [Name, Title, Contact information]