Standards Engineer, National Aerospace Standards (NAS) Program
August 23, 2021
Aerospace Industries Association (AIA)
Date: 10 August 2021
To learn more about AIA, please visit: https://www.aia-aerospace.org/about-aia/
The Standards Engineer supports AIA’s National Aerospace Standards program and the responsible committees that develop those standards. A significant portion of the NAS library is maintained by the National Aerospace Standards Committee (NASC) and contains industry part standards and process specifications for components and fasteners that are used in commercial and military aircraft, spacecraft, shipbuilding, and heavy machinery.
This position primarily provides engineering support to the NASC to maintain the NAS collection through a mandatory 5-year review process, in close coordination with the Director, Standards. The process includes reviewing 1200 active standards over a 5-year period and assisting the committee to reaffirm, revise, stabilize, or withdraw each standard.
The Standards Engineer is also responsible for managing and responding to technical questions on the NAS standards, maintaining a proposed change log for each standard, providing technical support to the NASC steering group, and providing guidance to AIA staff liaisons and other standards developing committees.
This position reports directly to the Assistant Vice President, Standards.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing approximately 20-25 standards each month using a set of criteria for the 5-year review, making a recommendation on each standard to reaffirm, revise, stabilize, or cancel, preparing each standard for committee vote, and addressing comments received on the standard during voting.
- Maintaining and updating project information in AIA’s Standards Management Portal (SharePoint environment) and tracking databases; responding to comments within AIA’s Higher Logic Workspace.
- Supporting standards project sponsors on comment resolution and technical recommendations.
- Providing guidance to internal and external stakeholders regarding the AIA standards development process and supporting the standards team in growth opportunities for the program.
- Fielding standards related technical inquiries to AIA in a timely way.
Support of the National Aerospace Standards Program Activities as follows:
- Attend and support the NASC meetings 2 times per year.
- Report periodically on the status and health of the NASC 5 Year Review Process
- Support NASC Steering Committee by conducting engineering research and preparing responses to inquiries from industry in consultation with Steering Committee.
- Assist Director, Standards on a monthly basis in review of standards before final publication.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working as an engineer or standards experience preferred
- Demonstrated project management experience required
- Experience working with aerospace or automotive components preferred
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external teams
- 4-year degree in an engineering discipline; mechanical or aerospace engineering degree preferred.
Special Skills or Requirements:
- Capable of creating and reviewing 2D and 3D CAD drawings.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (with a particular aptitude in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel), AutoCAD LT, and SolidWorks.
- Excellent Communication and presentation skills with audiences across the leadership spectrum.
- Some domestic travel required (<10% annually).
To Apply, please send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter
- Three writing samples
- Three (3) References [Name, Title, Contact information]
AIA is proud to be committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status. Consistent with these policies, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better organization and better results. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.