AIA represents more than 300 aerospace and defense manufacturers and suppliers. Membership is responsible for recruitment and retention efforts of Full and Associate Members. In addition, the membership division manages the Supplier Management Council (SMC) which is a non-attributional forum open to Full and Associate Members where senior supply chain representatives from system integrators and manufacturers address issues impacting the aerospace and defense supply chain.
AIA has five policy divisions: Civil Aviation, National Security Policy, Technical Operations & Workforce, Space Systems, and International Affairs, along with six supporting divisions: Legislative, Communications, Membership, Corporate Events, Financial Services and Human Resources.
National Aerospace Standards (NAS) works to enhance the safety and reliability of aerospace and defense products through well-defined standards, which, in turn, helps to protect U.S. citizens, our men and women in uniform, and our national security.
The Aerospace Research Center is the authoritative source for research, analysis and advanced studies designed to bring perspective to the issues, problems and policies which affect the U.S. Aerospace and Defense industry.
Corporate Events organizes, coordinates and executes all major AIA events and meetings, including bi-annual Board of Governors and Membership Meetings, the Supplier Management Council Meetings, AIA Executive Committee Meetings, and major events at international trade shows.
Legislative Affairs works with members of Congress and staff, administration officials, and other organizations to advocate on behalf of AIA’s positions on issues vital to the aerospace and defense industry.
In 2016, the U.S. Aerospace & Defense industry generated $872 billion in sales revenue. Over the past three years, total industry sales have remained largely unchanged, declining by less than 1%.
A&D business activity generated $41.7 billion in Federal tax revenue and $20.9 billion in state and local tax revenue. This represents a combined tax revenue of $62.6 billion in 2015, or about 1.7% of the total tax revenues received by the federal, state and local governments.
The Commercial Aerospace segment of the A&D industry generated $303 billion in sales, while the Defense & National Security segment generated $147 billion.
End-use manufacturers of A&D systems accounted for 52% of total sales while the industry’s supply chain accounted for the remaining 48% of sales.
In addition to the sales generated by the industry’s commercial aerospace and defense and national security segments, U.S. A&D generated an additional $422 billion of sales from the industry’s supply chain, which includes $114 billion from firms providing services to manufacturers.