Director, Human Resources and People Operations
June 30, 2022
The Director, Human Resources and People Operations will plan, lead, direct, develop, and coordinate the policies, activities, and staff of the Human Resource (HR) department, ensuring legal compliance and implementation of the AIA’s mission and talent strategy. In this role, you will partner with the leadership team to develop and execute the strategic direction of human resources and provide human resources leadership and support in areas including employee engagement and retention, performance management, total rewards, employee development, HR operations, HRIS, employment law and talent acquisition. Our ideal candidate must be enthusiastic about human resources and organizational development, have recent HR experience working for a not-for-profit company, and be a strong, empathetic leader, who is willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done. Your role will have a focus on the following areas of importance to AIA: talent acquisition and management, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), leadership and skills development, employee experience, and people and culture operations management.
This position reports directly to the VP, Finance and will be a strategic partner alongside all other Vice Presidents to support our mission. The incumbent will manage a staff of one including outsourced HR staff.
This position is responsible for aligning our people practices with our core values and company mission. Under the direction of the COO, this role will provide leadership support and oversight in the development and execution for AIA’s vision for how we attract, develop, and retain an excellent team that supports our membership base within the aerospace and defense industry. This is a strategic and operational role requiring adaptability, flexibility, and motivation. The individual is expected to deliver high levels of service and be called on as a subject matter expert who can solve problems for stakeholders.
Strategic human resources direction
- Execute strategic HR plans to support and drive the needs of the business, including attracting, developing, and retaining top talent.
- Ensure the company has the capabilities to support our members’ needs and company goals.
- Assess and determine business needs in the areas of organizational design, staffing, performance management, succession planning, development, and communication plans
- Resilient leadership support across all critical business functions.
- Lead discussions with senior leaders to provide data and insights related to employee survey results, performance management, and attrition/retention to develop enhanced people strategies.
Drive operational HR and Talent Acquisition
- Recommend and implement approaches to organizational structure, reporting relationships, and team composition.
- Prepare annual budget for HR department, partner with VP of Finance on all initiatives and projects for the HR department to ensure adequate funding.
- Lead, develop and manage the human resources and talent acquisition team. Collaborate and provide guidance to execute best practices related to the employee lifecycle, supporting employee retention and engagement, and hiring the best talent.
- Build and maintain trusted, mutually respectful relationships with senior leadership, managers, and employees.
- Drive excellence through data analysis and capturing critical HR metrics while staying abreast of emerging trends and best practices.
- Setting the strategy to source a diverse pool of qualified candidates.
- Implementing and improving processes for sourcing, interviewing, providing job offers, onboarding and offboarding.
- Lead annual summer internship program for college students.
- Identify, evaluate, and drive key training and development courses that hone strong talent at all levels of the organization.
- Review job descriptions to ensure they are compliant with FLSA and are up to date.
- Maintain corporate holiday schedule.
Total compensation strategy execution
- Proactively evaluates compensation and benefits programs to ensure they are highly competitive and comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Manage annual compensation award letters and salary survey through outside vendor with support from Director, Payroll and Benefits Administration.
- Collaborate and support VP Finance on budget planning for merit, bonus, and rewards and vendor related costs.
- Assist with compensation strategy considering market factors, internal equity, and staff value.
- Define salary bands for all roles.
- Improve transparency around compensation issues and rising satisfaction with compensation and benefits.
Manage enterprise performance, workplace engagement and DEIA
- Advising senior leadership in optimizing their human capital through employee engagement, employee retention, career development, and performance management efforts.
- Collaborate with leadership to identify talent gaps.
- Design and implement talent management solutions that provide programs to support staff development.
- Lead annual performance review process and annual staff engagement survey and results.
- Track and report on staff satisfaction survey results, quarterly and annually, identifying, and leading discussions to take actions towards improvement.
- Work with managers in addressing challenges in staff satisfaction.
- Implement and manage health and wellness programs such as managing stress, work-life balance, etc.
- Assist leadership in defining a workplace strategy to support our company’s goals and corporate culture in a hybrid environment.
- Assist with providing excellent office space for staff in Arlington, VA.
- Ensure the right systems are in place for managers to document and track employee performance.
- Ensure progress on DEIA across all aspects of company business.
- Advocate and lead discussions for a more diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible organization.
- Proven conflict resolution skills to reach satisfactory resolutions of labor relations problems & employee relations issues
- Demonstrated communication skills with different employee levels.
- Develop enhanced people related communication strategies that drive engagement
- Collaborate and advise management on appropriate use of disciplinary action and provide guidance on employment actions to be taken.
- Collaborate with managers on the development, review, and retention of supporting documentation for all involuntary separations to ensure that policies are followed, where applicable.
- Conduct on-boarding and exit interviews, analyzes trends, and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Monitor employment laws and ensure AIA remains in compliance.
Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years of Human Resources experience in a management role
- 10+ years of experience across all HR disciplines: talent acquisition and management, total rewards, workforce planning, employee experience, employee relations, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with DEIA
- Experience with Training and Development
- Excellent business writing skills with an ability to communicate in written form to different audiences with minimal oversight
- Excellent oral presentation skills with an ability to communicate to different audiences with minimal oversight
- Proficiency with various HRIS software, Word, and Excel.
- Systems process improvement
- Impeccable attention to detail, highly organized in paper and digital paperwork
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Sound judgement and ability to maintain the highest level of standards and confidentiality especially when dealing with sensitive information.
- Goal oriented and ability to self-manage tasks and responsibilities.
- Reliable, timely and ability to demonstrate a sense of urgency when needed
- Budget development
- Bachelor’s degree in business, government, or equivalent experience.
- PHR or SHRM-CP or higher certifications
To Apply, please send the following documents to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
AIA is proud to be committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status. Consistent with these policies, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better organization and better results. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can, and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.